Backcraft Mod is a nifty little mod that lets you revert, or “backcraft”, the crafting process for several items, enabling you to get all, or some, of the materials used for blocks and items back, meaning they won’t be wasted if you don’t need that block or item anyway.
You might have made a iron block from several iron bars, but now your last pickaxe broke, and you need the iron bars back, to do so with this mod, simply put the iron block into a crafting table, and the iron bars will be returned to you.
Currently the mod doesn’t work with weapons, tools or food, so you can’t get the materials back for these items yet. Some items or blocks that requires several ingredients won’t return all ingredients when backcrafted either, only the most important ingredient used will be returned, or the one that is hardest to acquire.
An example of this is things involving a diamond, usually that is the hardest to get or the most important thing in the craft, this means that you will get the diamond back when backcrafting, but nothing else.
With most items and blocks, you simply need to put them into the craft part of the inventory or in a crafting bench to backcraft it, but some items or blocks requires them to be placed in a specific pattern in order to work, as shown here:
Pretty easy and straightforward, and here you can also see an example of the most important ingredient being returned, with the torches, only the coal is returned, the sticks aren’t as important, so they are lost.
Backcraft Mod does not require Forge, so it is a bit tricker to install than the usual Forge mods, but nothing too hard.
How to install the BackCraft Mod:
- Download either the Client or Server version of the mod.
- Then go to your %appdata%\.minecraft\versions folder.
- Here you must create a new folder and call it something like “backcraft-1.6.2”.
- After this you must copy the files “1.6.2.jar” and “1.6.2.json” (the files are in a folder called 1.6.2 in your version folder) to the folder you have created.
- Now rename the two files to the same name as the folder, such as “backcraft-1.6.2”.
- After you have done that, open the file that should now be called “backcraft-1.6.2.json” with notepad or some similar program.
- Now change (“id”: “1.6.2”) to (“id”: “backcraft-1.6.2”).
- After this you must copy the files inside the .zip of the mod.
- Then open “backcraft-1.6.2” with a program like WinRar and then paste the files here.
- Finally, in the launchers profiles, select the version called “release backcraft-1.6.2”.
- That should do it, enjoy!
Not using Forge means that it is probably not compatible with a lot of other mods, so keep this in mind.